No. 13 Oregon uses late surge to hold off Texas Tech

No. 13 Oregon uses late surge to hold off Texas Tech

Oregon’s quarterback Bo Nix (10) warms up before the game against Texas Tech, Saturday, Sept. 9, 2023, at Jones AT&T Stadium.
Image: Annie Rice/Avalanche-Journal / USA TODAY NETWORK

Camden Lewis made a 34-yard field goal with 1:10 remaining, linebacker Jeffrey Bassa added a pick-six with 35 seconds to go, and No. 13 Oregon escaped with a 38-30 win over host Texas Tech on Saturday night in Lubbock, Texas.

Oregon (2-0) trailed 27-18 entering the fourth quarter before outscoring the Red Raiders 20-3 in the final session. Bassa capped the scoring with a 45-yard interception return for a touchdown to erase Texas Tech’s comeback hopes.

Tyler Shough passed for three touchdowns and rushed for one more for Texas Tech (0-2). The Red Raiders moved the ball to the Oregon 33-yard line with eight seconds left in a desperate attempt to force overtime, but Shough’s final heave was intercepted by Bryan Addison as time expired.

Shough finished 24 of 40 for 282 yards, three touchdowns and three interceptions. He also rushed 23 times for 101 yards and a score.

The Ducks held off a hard challenge on the road one week after they set a modern school record with 81 points in their season opener against Portland State. This matchup was much less lopsided, but quarterback Bo Nix did his part to guide the Ducks by completing 32 of 44 passes for 359 yards and two touchdowns.

Oregon led 18-13 at halftime thanks in large part to a 72-yard touchdown pass from Nix to Troy Franklin and a 13-yard touchdown pass from Nix to Tez Johnson. Franklin ended up leading the team with six catches for 103 yards and a score.

Texas Tech stormed back with 14 consecutive points in the third quarter to go ahead 27-18. Shough scored the first touchdown of the quarter on a 5-yard quarterback keeper, and he used his arm for the second touchdown as he found Jerand Bradley down the right sideline for a 34-yard score.

A 3-yard rushing touchdown by Bucky Irving cut Oregon’s deficit to 27-25 with 14:47 remaining in the fourth quarter. Lewis added a 23-yard field goal on the next possession to give the Ducks a 28-27 edge.

Texas Tech responded with a 12-play, 48-yard drive capped by a 45-yard field goal from Gino Garcia with 5:13 to play. That put the Red Raiders on top 30-28.

The lead stood until the Ducks’ final barrage of 10 points in the final 70 seconds.

—Field Level Media

Original source here

#Oregon #late #surge #hold #Texas #Tech

About the Author

Anthony Barnett
Anthony is the author of the Science & Technology section of ANH.